Saturday, July 24, 2010

Holy Cow! I'm addicted to Internet...

A week on the beautiful North Keppel Island at their Environmental Ed Center and I realize I'm addicted to internet. We didn't have it there, but yes, I survived.

So much to catch up on!
On North Keppel, we were staying at the Environmental Ed Center with another group... of 5th graders. They.were.awesome. Really, the day they left us, it was so sad! They were a funny bunch and definitely kept things lively. Next picture update, they're SO making the blog. They loved playing frisbee too- they even ALL signed my frisbee before they left. :)

A few things.

1. Saw a leashed child on our way to Emu Park (which is where we stayed before and after staying on N. Keppel Island). This cute little girl was just fidgeting with her leash (on her wrist), and I swear on all the lives of the endangered koalas here, her mom said, "Don't you DARE take that off, or I'll make sure it'll never come off." Shut the front door. I'm serious. I'M RALLYING FOR THE LEASHED CHILDREN FOR A REASON! And learning, unfortunately, children-leashers know no boundaries.

2. Saw an Australian crow here in a parking lot- and it was literally the size of a cat. So huge and scary. Just wanted to share that.

3. Automatic doors. The ones I've experienced here are not as fast as in the states. I always try to rush through them before they close and definitely cut it a little too close at a convenience store I stopped at. Almost lost my nose. Had terrible flashbacks to my first day of Freshman year at Creighton, getting stuck in the double doors to my residence hall. True story- backpack on one side of the doors, body on the other.

4. Flashlights. They call them "torches" here. It makes SO much more sense! If you're in the scary dark, going on a bushwalk, you don't want a light that flashes, you want something that's going to give you continuous illumination. Andddd a flashlight is just a newer version of actual torches they used like, a long long time ago, right? Why not just call it a torch? Just a thought.

5. The 5th graders from Thangool, Australia at North Keppel with us. SO cute and so much fun. Before dinner one night, a few of us were playing a game of - what we thought was American football - and of course when they joined in, they immediately started playing rugby, haha. So we were playing a mix of "gridiron" as they call it, and rugby- pretty funny & pretty cool seeing as how no one really set rules, but we were out running around with them. They also liked to laugh at how Ro- one of the guys on our trip- said, "Water bottle." Hearing them impersonate American accents was pretty funny.

6. Next picture update: look for pictures from N. Keppel. It's also a national park, so at nights, we'd be the only ones on the island- just about 20 or so of us. Beautiful beaches, beautiful water, beautiful coral (we went snorkeling!), beautiful WEATHER and we were a select few who got to enjoy it. Pretty cool.

7. The other night- had a dream about driving. Only... I was driving on the wrong side of the road! (The right one here in Australia.) Let's just hope I don't do this back in the states. I'm sure I'll be a little mixed up!

Only one more week with the group! :( I can't believe it's gone so fast!

Last thought- they DON'T HAVE S'MORES HERE. Well, they don't have graham crackers. Trying to explain this to the 5th graders was a hoot.

Okay, last thought- really. Everyone in our group has taken a liking to, "Shut the front door." See? I AM making an impact. :) Muaahhahaha one step closer to world domination...

-Fanny

1 comment:

  1. dear rory-

    i received a question from a fan:

    have you succumbed to hairspray?

    love, devoted blog reader who is creepy

    ReplyDelete